The students in Callao, Utah, have always been educated in a one-room school. Since Callao was settled in the 1860’s, it is assumed that Callao School was first established in the late 1800’s. The first official record of Callao School is found in the Tintic School Board minutes in 1913. The school was held in several buildings that were used to house the teachers.
A new building was built in Callao and completed in August of 1929. Member of the board and the community held a banquet and dance in the new building. It was recorded that almost 400 people attended the festivities. The cost of the single-room building was $2,116.
An interesting development also occurred about this time in the Tintic District. In 1928, a resolution was adopted to prohibit married women from being hired to teach school in the district. The board claimed, “The sentiment against married women being employed as teachers while unmarried and dependent material is abundant and has been increasing during the past few years.”